Many people put off getting massages, telling themselves that it's an indulgence they can live without. The truth is, while you could live without them, your body and mind would much rather you didn't! At least make sure you're in-the-know about all of the proven physical benefits of massage - a lot of them might surprise you! Here's a crash course brought to you by our lovely massage therapist, Macy:
- If you've had a recent surgery, massage reduces adhesions, edema and scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- If you have a chronic illness, massage also relieves pain due to increased flow of endorphins, our bodies' natural painkillers. It's especially effective for migraine sufferers.
- In breast cancer patients, massage has been shown to actually increase the amount of cancer-fighting cells. This is because massage stimulates the flow of lymph, your body's natural defense against toxic invaders.
- For expecting mothers, massage has been proven to lead to shorter, easier labor for expecting mothers and shorten maternity hospital stays. (And if easier labor isn't worth it, we don't know what is!)
- It's also been shown to increase circulation.
- While you probably know massage has mental benefits, especially reduced anxiety, remember that prolonged mental stress DOES take physical tolls on your body.
- Massage clients also report increased energy, enhanced sleep quality, and improved concentration. I know I could use a little more of all three!
- Massage will also help regulate blood sugar levels for diabetics.
There are an array of different massages available. You can start with a 15 minute chair massage or enjoy 90 minutes or more of massage. Times & prices are available for every schedule & budget. You can also customize your massage with a plethora of add-ons from aromatherapy to reflexology to Reiki & more. Make the most out of your time & your body will thank you for it.
Everyone's different, and only you can say which of these benefits would make the biggest difference in your day-to-day life - but why not enjoy them all and know you're at your best? Come to Elliven and let us treat you to a customized massage, because it's not just an indulgence - It is a necessary luxury AND your health is worth it!