They say “pain is beauty," but at Elliven, we don’t think that's the way it should be - even when you're getting waxed! Keep these simple tips in mind so you can breathe easy during your next waxing appointment, and walk out smooth and sexy!
- Allow the hair to grow to at least ¼ inch long (usually three weeks after shaving). Many people think shorter hair is easier to wax – nope! The hair must be long enough to attach to the wax.
- Take a warm shower or bath before your appointment to open your pores. Using a loofah helps smooth skin and prevent ingrown hairs.
- Take an aspirin or use a numbing cream about 30 minutes prior.
- Inform your wax technician of any allergies, medical conditions, or changes in your health, since internal changes can effect your skin.
- Remind yourself to breathe during your wax! Studies have shown that breathing deeply actually reduces pain.
- Use steroids of any kind – either prescription or over-the-counter. Steroids thin the skin, and they remain in the body long after you’re done taking them.
- Get a wax if you take Accutane, AHAs (chemical exfoliants), any Vitamin-A-based medications (found in many acne products), or retinols (also found in many acne products, as well as anti-agers - although you can refrain from taking retinols for the five days preceding your appointment). These products can cause harmful lifting and burning during waxing. If you're not sure if your skincare products are compatible with waxing, feel free to call our salon and ask!
- Drink alcohol, coffee, or caffeinated soda the day of your appointment - stimulants tighten your pores. So schedule your Starbucks trip for after your wax!!!
- Go to a tanning salon within 24 hours before your wax.
- Use any lotions, gels or oils on the waxing area the same day (besides numbing cream)
- Worry what your wax technician is thinking. We’ve seen it ALL before – trust me!
Here’s to your next summer spa appointment being RELAXING, not painful!